It is not unusual for contractors to experience impacts beyond their control that delay or disrupt their work. While each contract requires a little different approach, if you follow these basic steps you should be in a good position to seek redress on your claim for additional time or money.
- Request a Time Extension in writing within 10 days of an impact.
- If the Owner fails to grant more time, notify the Owner in writing that it has caused “constructive acceleration” with costs.
- Give written notice to the Owner in writing before performing extra work.
- Provide documentation of your projected losses within 30 days of your initial notice of an impact.
- Take legal action within the time period specified in your contract or governing state law.